The “Audit Trail” page in Dashboard houses two major features for monitoring user and session activity: “Audit Trail” and “Session Trail.” Audit Trail provides administrators with an audit log to track and search through account actions. Account activity can be audited at all levels of Frame platform hierarchy. Session Trail is also viewable from this part of the Dashboard. Session Trail provides detailed information about current session activity in the account. This guide shows how to access both Audit Trail and Session Trail and provides detailed descriptions of each page.
The simplest way to access Audit Trail from the account level would be through your account's Dashboard. From the Dashboard, simply click the “Audit Trail” link in the menu on the left.
To access the Session Trail in the Dashboard, click the “Session Trail” tab right next to the Audit Trail tab.
From Customer or Organization
If you would like to access the Audit Trail/Session Trail page for an Organization or Customer entity, simply search for the entity in your console view. Click on the menu button to the right of the desired entity and select either “Audit Trail” or “Sessions.”
The Audit Trail lists all changes that were made to the Customer, Organization, and Account. The figure below illustrates the Audit Trail at the account level.
Under the “Audit Trail” section header, you can search the audit trail by first name, last name and email address. You can also click on the column titles to sort the Audit Trail by ascending or descending order.
If you would like to search for audit events within a certain time frame, click on the date range in the upper right corner of the section. Set your desired time frame by clicking on the starting and ending dates in the calendar view.
Using the filter icon in the top right corner, you can filter your results by specific account action.
Lastly, you can download the details of your Audit Trail in CSV format by clicking the blue “Download CSV” link in the upper right corner. The CSV will provide all Audit Trail details for the time frame specified to the left of the download link.
You may notice immediately that all of the information under the Session Trail tab is blue. Administrators can hover over any blue text to view additional details for that particular subject.
The Session Trail fields are:
- Session ID: Unique identifier for the session. Important to provide when discussing a user session issue with Frame Support.
- User: First name and last name of the user, as provided by a third-party identity provider integration or Basic Authentication.
- Instance Type: Name of the instance type for this workload VM. Instance type names are specific to the underlying infrastructure. In the case of AHV, the instance type name will be the name you defined under the AHV Cloud Account. This name corresponds to the name of the pool in Capacity.
- Bandwidth: Average bandwidth consumed over the course of the session. Hover over the bandwidth value to see the min, average, and max bandwidth consumed over the course of the session.
- Frame Rate: Average frame rate over the course of the session. Hover over the frame rate value to see the min, average, and max frame rate over the course of the session.
- Latency: Average latency measured over the course of the session. Hover over the latency value to see the min, average, and max latency over the course of the session.
- Start Time: The time (UTC or local time of administrator's endpoint) when the user was connected into a virtual machine using Frame Remoting Protocol.
- Duration: The elapsed time between the start of the session (when the user connected to a virtual machine) and the close of the session (when the user was logged out of the operating system).
You can use the search bar under the “Session Trail” section header by entering details such as a user's email, name, session ID, or use the column titles to sort the information to your preference.
Just like the Audit Trail page, you can also narrow your Session Trail information down by selecting a date range in the upper right corner.
Click on the kebab menu listed next to a session and select “Timeline” to display a timeline view of session events.
Hover over each event to see additional details.
Lastly, you can download the details of your Session Trail in CSV format by clicking the blue “Download CSV” link in the upper right corner. The CSV will provide all Session Trail details for the time frame specified to the left of the download link.